University School of Milwaukee expands its efforts in the areas of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI). These initiatives are vital as students learn to think broadly, critically, and independently.
University School of Milwaukee is continuing its work to ensure that our community is equitable and inclusive in alignment with the school’s Common Trust, which calls for everyone at the school to be treated with respect, trust, honesty, fairness, and kindness. Recognition of, and respect for, diverse backgrounds and experiences is fundamental to building a community where students learn to think broadly, critically, and independently.
Our work in the areas of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) has expanded in the past few months and will continue to be a central theme as the school embarks on its next strategic plan. The school has completed several initiatives related to its JEDI work, including the following:
- Dr. Gina Haughton was named the school’s director of equity and student success in August 2020. Her responsibilities include ensuring that all PK–12 students, faculty, staff, and families feel welcomed and supported.
- All faculty and staff participated in a professional development workshop on Jan. 15 that examined privilege and bias. Haughton distributed the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Assessment of Inclusivity and Multiculturalism (AIM) School Study, and the AIM Climate Survey, and will use the collected data to tailor further professional development and programming initiatives in the upcoming months.
- USM established a protocol for bias incident reporting, as well as a bias incident dashboard, which are designed to promote inclusiveness, identify individuals who may benefit from additional education/training, and support justice and equity in the community.
- With the help of an outside consultant, USM will embark on an audit of its PK–12 anti-bias curriculum within the next few months. Ultimately the process will help to better align the school’s curriculum with its strategic plan.
- The JEDI newsletter was also created and made available on myUSM to provide continual updates about the school’s JEDI work with the community at large.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Gina Haughton, director of equity and student success, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414.540.3413.